Friday, January 26, 2007

Avoiding Oversharing

Dear Sundiver,

I hope that you can help me with a reoccuring and awkward social problem I've been finding myself in recently. As you know, every avid pot enthusiast has his cherished story about carrying in public, nearly getting caught by the police or other authority figure, and narrowly escaping through wit or good fortune. My friend (let's call him Tom) was busted for possession when he was young and spent a few years in Chino. The problem arises when hanging with people unaware of Tom's history. Inevitably, the round of "nearly got busted, but..." stories begin. It is terribly awkward knowing that sooner or later Tom will be forced to tell his story with its less than happy ending. This often leads to sour mood changes, abrupt ends to evenings, and less invitations to hang. I want to help the guy, but I'm stymied. Do you have any advice for me, or for my friend?

Bummed in Baltimore


BB, as with many awkward social situations, the best thing to do is to change the subject as unobtrusively as possible. One surefire method of changing the conversation when dealing with potheads is to bring up the topic of food and everyone will instantly get the munchies.

No comments: